I love curry powder as a flavoring. There are so many ways to make plain ingredients taste amazing by adding some curry powder. Sweet potato is one of those ingredients. By making it into a soup, it creates a deliciously warm, comforting, and simple weeknight dinner. Enjoy as an appetizer or side dish or add the soup on top of Power Rice or serve with Fried Tofu, toasted pumpkin seeds, or Baked Crispy Chickpeas to bulk up the soup as a complete meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion (6-8 oz) diced
- 4 cloves garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups liquid (canned coconut milk or water or combo of each)
- 1 large sweet potato (1 lb) cubed or combo sweet potato and carrot
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar or honey (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black or cayenne pepper depending on spice level (or omit)
- 1/2 tsp thyme (optional)
- In a medium sized soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions. Sweat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic or garlic powder and allow the flavor to bloom for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the liquid along with the sweet potato (and carrot if using) along with the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the ingredients are tender.
- Transfer the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Make sure the steam can escape as you blend. Alternatively, use an immersion blender.
- Pour back in the soup pot to keep warm or transfer to serving bowls or a serving vessel and enjoy.