There are a few dishes where it is worth breaking my mostly vegan diet and a great queso is one of them. I'll certainly pay for it the next morning in terms of inflammation and phlegm so I now limit my intake, but I still can't resist a bite or two when its around. Here's my favorite go-to recipe with inspiration from Eating on a Dime. My version is a little lighter on the dairy by adding chicken stock and vegetable oil instead of milk and butter. The flour addition helps everything bind together better.
- 2 tbsp butter or vegetable oil (or 1 tbsp of each)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup diced onion (or 1/2 tsp onion powder)
- 1 minced garlic clove (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (more if a thinner consistency is desired)
- 8 oz white American cheese (6 slices on 3 thickness at the deli counter)
- 1/4 cup diced green chilies or fresh jalapeno
- salt if needed
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion if using fresh until soft and translucent.
- Add the flour and stir until smooth and bubbly but before browning.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook for 30-60 seconds until fragrant.
- While whisking/stirring, add the chicken stock until there are no clumps of flour.
- Add the cheese slices in chunks and stir until melted.
- Finally add the diced green chilies or jalapenos and mix throughout then serve.
Post a Comment