I am a big fan of fish & chips. When I travel, I can usually count on finding a good fish & chips place for an affordable yet delicious meal. But it turns out it's not that hard to make at home either. I was watching one of my favorite cooking shows, America's Test Kitchen (Season 22 Episode 18), and they gave a great recipe and step-by-step instructions. Here is my adaptation of the recipe.
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup lager beer with minimum froth (like Budweiser or Coors)
- Let batter rest in fridge for 20 min. Should look like glue.
- 3/4 cup mayo (or sub 1/4 cup olive oil)
- 1/2 tbsp shallots or 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp relish
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar (malt vinegar is ideal)
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 375 degrees to fry.
- Be sure to have malt vinegar on hand. One cheat is to find a Five Guys, order something, and pour yourself a side serving cup of malt vinegar which they have on hand to go with their epic French fries.