I've realized that my appetite is pretty vulnerable between lunch and dinner. It's a long stretch of time with usually a lot of office/computer work and then driving in traffic which drains energy and makes me hungry. If I don't have a snack, I get home and eat too much - too much dinner, plus a snack beforehand and a dessert after. That's a lot of calories in a short span. Or if I did get a snack, it was the processed office snacks that have little nutritional value and usually contain ingredients that don't make me feel good later.
So this year, I'm taking snacking into my own control and making sure I have quick, healthy snacks on hand at work and at home so I can curb my hunger in a smart way. This combined with more liquids in the afternoon should hopefully leave me less hungry at dinner time leading me to eat less then. Here is my running list of go-to healthy snacks:
Quick Healthy Snacks
- Handful of Mixed Nuts - I like Costco's sodium free nuts
- Handful of Peanuts
- Apple and Peanut Butter
- Celery and Peanut Butter - maybe even add cranberries or raisins to create "Ants on a Log"
- Carrots and Hummus
- Other Veggies and Hummus
- Plain Veggies like Snap Peas, Peppers, Cucumber
- Veggies with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Mexican Style Pickled Carrots
- Cucumber Salad
- Dried Soy Beans or Garbanzo Beans
- Chips and Salsa
- Chips and Avocado or Guacamole