I have had quite the bumper crop of zucchini this year so I've been trying to find new ways to cook with them. One of my favorite ways is zucchini bread. I searched for a vegan recipe and found one from the Nora Cooks blog. At first, I tried tweaking this to use my sourdough starter, but the bread kept coming out too gummy in texture no matter what I tried. I decided to ditch the sourdough starter part and stick to the recipe. I made a few tweaks like adding apple sauce to cut back on the oil and removing the ground flaxseed because I didn't have any. It didn't really need it in my opinion.
Now I feel this recipe is near perfection for me. I've made it several times this way and enjoy it every time. Even the leftover batter is finger licking good! And no guilt with all the ingredients being vegan. Give this recipe a try even if you need to resort to store-bought zucchini.
- 1/8 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk substitute
- 1/8 cup applesauce (or just add another 1/8 cup oil)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6oz/170g) grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine oil, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix with a spatula until loosely combined.
- Add the zucchini and again mix until loosely combined.
- Add the flour and remaining ingredients. Mix until combined but not overmixed.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and pour the batter in.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted doesn't have any gooey parts.
Post a Comment