You may have noticed but this Don't Need Much Money website is built through Blogger. The reason I chose it is because I think it is the only free blogger website where you can use your own custom domain. Since Blogger is owned by Google, the best place to purchase your domain is from Google Domains. It is super easy and super affordable to built a website like this, but there are a few nuances to keep in mind.
Pointing your Blogger blog to your custom URL
The first issue I found is the sequence to follow to point your blog to our custom URL. Once you purchase your domain, you want to use Google Domains to point to Blogger. Don't use Blogger to point to Google Domains. To do that, follow these steps:
- Log into domains.google.com and click on the URL you want to use (assuming you've already purchased it).
- Click on the Website tab and click the Blog box.
- Click on the sign into Blogger button and log in.
- You should then see a box with your blog name. Make sure the settings are the way you want them and click submit.
- Wait a few hours (even up to 48 hours) and your website should now publish on your custom URL.
- Log into Blogger and go to Settings
- Scroll down to the Publishing section and click on your custom domain.
- Click Delete to delete it from the Blog. Don't worry, you still own it.
- Go to domains.google.com and clock on your custom domain.
- Go to the DNS tab and go to the Blog hosting section.
- Click Delete to remove the blog settings.
- Go to the Website tab and click on "add a forwarding address". Choose something generic like google.com.
- Open up a web browser and go to your custom domain. In 1-2 minutes, it should now auto-forward to the website you chose.
- Once it auto fowards, you can now go back to Google Domains and follow the right directions above.
- Log into Google AdSense.
- Click on the Sites tab and add your custom domain.
- Then click on "Request Review".
- Log into Blogger and click on the Earnings tab.
- It should now say that Google is getting your blog ready to show ads.
- Check back every day or so to see if Google has finished their review. If you get an error, research what is going on and try to fix it.
- Then once approved, click where and how you want the ads to show up on your website and Google should start to give you a share in the advertising money from your website.