I like egg salad and I like potato salad so I figured why not try to mash them up in one recipe. I took a high-rated potato salad recipe that I found online from A Spicy Perspective and a high rated egg salad recipe from Food Network's Geoffrey Zakarian and combined them with some slight modifications.
It turned out pretty damn good. I will definitely be adding this into the meal rotation. Plus it's a perfect way to use bulk potatoes and eggs.
UPDATE: After making this a few times, I ended up not liking the mayo base so I decided to tweak to use avocado for the creamy dressing instead of mayo which made it much lighter. I've included this tweak below.
- 1.5 pounds Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes (3 medium or 2 large potatoes)
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- Dressing Option 1: 1 cup mayo
- Dressing Option 2: 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or light sour cream
- Dressing Option 3: 2 medium avocados mashed with 2 tbsp water and 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard (I go with brown but the traditional way is either all yellow or half yellow and half Dijon)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or 1 tbsp if using avocado)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (or 1 tbsp if using avocado)
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill or 1 tsp dried
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne or 1 tsp cayenne hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs)
- 1/3 cup diced onion (go with green onions or soak diced white/red/yellow onion for 2-3 min in water to remove some sharpness)
- Hard boil the eggs in advance.
- Dice the potatoes into bit size chunks and place in a stock pot with 4 cups of water
- Bring the water to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender (meaning you can poke them with a fork and they slide right off).
- While the potatoes cook, mix the chosen dressing with mustard, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, relish, salt, cayenne, and pepper in a bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Chop the eggs, celery, onion, and dill.
- Drain the potatoes and spread them out on a cutting board to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, place them in a large bowl. Gently fold in the dressing until it coats the potatoes well. Then stir in the eggs, celery, onions, and dill.
- Cover the egg and potato salad and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight. This will keep in the fridge for up to one week.
Post a Comment