It's been a little over a year now since I've changed my diet to being primarily vegan and whole foods based. And I must say, it's been going incredibly well. I feel great, I've gotten down to my ideal weight, my food budget has decreased substantially, and my life has become easier.
My secret was focusing on the following food groups and trying to stay balanced throughout the day in the amount of food I eat from any one group. I've listed foods in each group that have become staples for me and have allowed me to simplify my eating habits so much.
- Whole grains - whole wheat, rice, oats, quinoa, corn meal (especially tortilla chips)
- Beans - black beans, lentils, edamame/tofu, garbanzo beans (especially in hummus)
- Greens - spinach, chard, kale, cabbage (especially as sauerkraut)
- Veggies - onions, peppers, potatoes, zucchini, garlic, carrots, celery, cucumbers, artichokes, jalapenos, green chilies
- Fruit - avocado, tomatoes, apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, melon, frozen blueberries, dried cranberries, pineapple
- Nuts and Seeds - almonds, peanuts, peanut butter, raw cashews, sunflower seeds
- Flavorings - herbs, spices, cocoa powder, organic sugar, vinegars, oils, sauces, lemon/lime juice