I am still on the search for the perfect black bean recipe. This one is getting pretty close. I like it because it mostly involves spices from my cupboard and is super simple and easy to make. It is close to my Cuban Black Bean Recipe but with a lot more cumin and garlic.
- One pound black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup diced onion or 1 tbsp onion powder or 2 tbsp onion flakes (I prefer fresh onion)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 4 diced cloves)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Wash the beans. They can also be pre-soaked for 8-12 hours.
- Put all the ingredients in an Instant Pot or regular stovetop pot.
- If using an Instant Pot, set it to the the Bean/Chili setting for 50 minutes and 10 minute countdown. If using pre-soaked beans, change to 30 minutes and 10 minute countdown.\
- If using a stovetop pot, bring everything to a boil and simmer for 3 hours if using hard beans or 1.5 hours if using presoaked beans.
- Serve when desired texture is achieved.