For most people in America, their first introduction to beans are from barbecue joints whipping up the classic side dish, baked beans. It is just such a classic flavor that it deserves to be in everyone's repertoire.
With this recipe, you can enjoy baked beans right in your own home or bring them to your next potluck to wow your friends and family.
- 1/2 pound dried pinto or navy beans (or 2 cans drained)
- 2 slices bacon (optional)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp mustard (yellow or brown)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Dash of tabasco (optional)
- If using dried beans, cook them in a pressure cooker using 6 cups of water and 1.5 tsp salt for 50 minutes on Bean/Chili setting. Release the pressure, drain, and set aside.
- If using bacon, brown the bacon in a pot. Add the remaining ingredients including the beans and bring to a simmer.
- You can either serve at this point or cook on low for an additional 1-2 hours for the ingredients to really meld and the beans to get tender and soft.