One of my favorite inspirational websites is Blue Zones. They just shared an article on the Top 10 Things You Didn't Know About Beans.
- They're Cheap - I couldn't agree more. Beans are one of the best ways to lower your food budget.
- There is a whole organization promoting beans - USA Pulses
- You can pass on gas - eat more beans so your body can adapt and cook beans with spices that are good for digestion like turmeric, ginger, or fennel.
- Americans need more - Centenarians eat 1 cup a day. Americans average only 1/4 cup. So most people need to eat 4 times more beans to live longer.
- The Darker the Better - black beans have more antioxidants.
- They can be a digestive aid - beans are loaded with fiber which helps digestion.
- Use them as a natural fertilizer - growing beans in your garden actually improves your soil because it captures nitrogen.
- Double Duty - beans count as both a vegetable and a protein according to the USDA.
- Celebrity Status - beans were a staple food in ancient times and Roman leaders named themselves after common beans so citizens would think they had the public interest in mind.
- How Old? - beans go back 10,000 years to the Neolithic era. Grains and beans are how humans survived and thrived and now are making a comeback since it is also an economical and environmentally friendly way to eat.
Eating more beans is the single best thing you can do to improve your health and your budget. So whether you get your beans dried, canned, or as a spread, start finding ways to incorporate more beans into your diet now.
Post a Comment