This is another great go-to weeknight meal to serve with rice or potatoes. It has a mild Indian flavor influence which is great for adding to the rotation to mix things up a bit.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped onion (or 2 tablespoons dried onion powder)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp tumeric or curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups red lentils
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- Cook the onion in the oil on medium heat until translucent (about 3-4 minutes). If using onion power, just heat the oil.
- Add the dried spices to the hot oil and allow to bloom 1-2 minutes but keep from burning.
- Add the remaining ingredients except frozen spinach.
- Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir in the frozen spinach, and allow to thaw and heat up in the carryover heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with cooked rice, potatoes, or just eat on its own.